Preparing for Change in Your Congregation
“Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future.”
Rev. Cheol Soon Park, the Moderator of the 134th General Assembly said, “Change is not an option anymore, it is an imperative…It is time to change our understanding of church, ministry and worship service.” Rev. Park challenged everyone in the Presbyterian Church in Canada to try one new thing this year…one thing that is necessary, yet has never been tried for various reasons.
Why Do We Not Want Change?
- We don’t want to fail
- We don’t want to lose something
- We don’t want to change our identity
- We fear change itself
- Change might bring conflict
Why Should We Change?
- Change is inevitable
- Change is no longer optional
- Change is necessary for renewal and revitalization
Steps for Healthy Change:
- Have a vision
- Define your changes
- Plant your vision with key leadership
- Share your vision with the whole church
- Implement your changes
- Deal with the opposition
- Make adjustments
- Evaluate and celebrate the results!